
Our Heart, Our Story
The story of Sacred Heart Catholic Church Mundaring is a story of hope, faith and trust in God, and in people. It began, as many stories do, with a circle of families gathering for Sunday Mass and making the commitment to build their own Church. This is our story.
Building a Church
In 1899 itinerant priest, Fr John O’Loughlin, celebrated Mass in the home of the Farrell family in Stoneville.
In 1914 a small weatherboard church was built at the request of Rev. J. H. Gibney, at a cost of £177.
In 1933 the present church was opened and dedicated by Bishop Kelly. Built of local granite by Italian stonemasons, it was a labour of love for a community determined to have a church for generations to come.
Marino Bartolai chiselling granite at the Mundaring Quarry owned by Wilson, Gray & Co Ltd., 1932. Reproduced with permission of the Italian Historical Society- COASIT
Foundry Stone- The Sacred Heart church was blessed by Monsignor Verling, as Archbishop Clune could not attend.
Mr John and Mrs Mary Reddy who donated the land on which the Sacred Heart Church is built
Becoming a Parish
The Reddy family played a significant role in the life of Mundaring. In 1944 John Reddy donated the land on which the presbytery was built, and his wife, Cath, donated the beautiful icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour.
On 15th August 1949 Mundaring became a separate parish with Fr Andrew Clune as its first Parish Priest.
A Growing Community
With the continued growth of the parish, a school was opened in 1953 with Fr Daniel Linnane as the first Headmaster.
In 1958 the church was extended to accommodate our growing congregation.
In the years that followed, the parish continued to grow in faith and service. The spirit of Vatican II brought the People of God together in a renewed way.
Fr Linanne, parish priest of Mundaring, at the wheel of his 1929 Chevrolet, c. 1953. Reproduced with permission of the Italian Historical Society- COASIT
Sacred Heart church, view of the recently completed stone extension to the church, 1958. Reproduced with permission of the Italian Historical Society- COASIT
90th Anniversary of the building of Sacred Heart church. From left to right: Fr. Dom, Harry Cassian, Johnny Mucciarone, Archbishop Timothy Costelloe SDB, Nancy Daws, Mary Sheehan, Maria and George Takich.
Honouring Our Heritage
In 1983 the parish celebrated 50 years since the dedication of our Church.
We remember with gratitude all those who have gone before us – families, clergy, religious and parishioners – who have built a strong foundation of faith and community.
“Let us remember with grateful hearts and give thanks for the past, with faith to embrace the future.”
Looking to the Future
In 2023 we celebrated 90 years of our Church.
As we look to the future, may we continue to be a welcoming community, growing in faith and service, with the Sacred Heart of Jesus as our guide.
90th Anniversary. Photo: Jamie OBrien

